Sunday, July 13, 2008

Burma activist’s cross-country trek reaches Valley

Rick Dandes

MIFFLINBURG — He’s been on a cross-country, 3,000-mile trek for four months and 11 days, and Friday afternoon, he could be seen walking east on Route 45, dressed in military fatigues, with two flags perched on his shoulder — an American flag, and a flag representing peace and democracy in his home country, Burma.

“I started this march for freedom on March 1 in Portland, Oregon, said Athein, 35, who goes only by one name. “And I’ll finish on August 8 in New York City, when I present a petition to the U.N. Security Council.”

The petition, which he carries in a knapsack, calls for “members of the United Nations to make peaceful political change and reconciliation in Burma a priority, and to take all necessary steps to protect the people of Burma from the oppression and violence of the military junta.”

To date, his petition has been signed by thousands online.

For most of the march, Athein, of Portland, Ore., walks with fellow activists Zaw Min Htwe, 27, and Okkar Kyaw, 15.

“We’re doing this because our country is in the hands of the military. I have two children and I’ve lived in the United States for seven years, but I had to do something to help my country, which they now call Myanmar. The junta, they are terrorists. There are random arrests and killings. They’ve massacred thousands of innocent, peace-loving people. Those of us who are for a free Burma cannot live under these terrorists. We want peace and freedom.”

Athein’s march has taken him through snowy mountain passes, over the great plains and into major cities like Chicago.

“The hardest time was in the beginning,” he said. “ But all along the way, people treated me very well. Radio, TV and newspapers have covered my march. Local police forces have been very helpful when I needed to walk near a highway.

“Wherever there are Burmese communities, I have been protected and welcomed into people’s homes to stay for the night. In university towns professors have allowed me to stay with them. I realize I have a lot of friends.”

He has followed a well-planned route, “but sometimes I am diverted by construction,” he said. “But for certain, I will be in New York City on time for the U.N. session.”

Athein knows about hardships. He was for 10 years a member of the Democratic Karen Buddhist army, which existed mostly on the Burmese border. “I’ve been fighting since I was 15,” he said. “Now, I’m older, and I live in America, but the fight continues.

“I’m a little weak at this point. I only sleep about three or four hours a night and I walk at least 20 miles a day. As I get closer to New York and meet people who support my march, I get energy to go on. This is something I must do.”

For those interested in Athein’s petition, and his march for freedom, check out www.88portland.wordpress.com

Source

No comments: